Sunday, March 5, 2017

FNWF REPORT

It's Sunday already but I am reporting on my FNWF which took place on Friday hosted by Cheryll . Most evenings will find me handquilting my blocks for the BOM for our guild  project , I am on my last block actually then I will need to quilt all the sashing strips so a long way from finishing yet . I had never done a QAYG before so this has been interesting.  Here is my first strip all blocks quilted and one of the sashing strips.

I didn't get the whole strip in the photo but you get the idea . Here is the block I was working on Friday.
This one is called Prairie Queen and is from Quilters cache , it is one of our extra blocks as I felt it worked well with our theme.  Not too much left to do on this one then I will start on the sashing strips.  The exciting part of doing a quilt this way is when I am finished the quilting it is done , silly thing to say maybe but normally I make a top then quilt it this time I am making blocks then quilting them and then sewing them together . I think i will do this again , I have really enjoyed the hand work .
So that was my Friday night what did you do on Friday ?
 It is a rather nasty day outside,  winter has arrived back just when we were enjoying some spring weather . It is cold and blowing and a little snow is falling , I guess it isn't over yet , that was wishful thinking on my part.
 Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by .
 Hugs Sheila

20 comments:

  1. Looks great, Sheila! I really enjoy QAYG, for handquilting, especially! Makes it so much more manageable. As a matter of fact, I have one started and should bring it to NG to work on while I'm hanging out at Aberdeen RH! Wish I'd thought of that the first two visits! Still no date! Fingers crossed it won't interfere with my favorite little quilt show and get together! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. QAYG is a great technique, I've made one this way and wow all of a sudden it was finished!!! Your blocks are lovely and your latest one does work well with the others. Hope spring arrives again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried QAYG, but will be doing so when all my hand-pieced blocks are done because it will be way too big to fit under a machine. Fingers crossed that spring is on its way for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I was thinking about you a lot this weekend. Just got home from a scrapbook retreat, where I was working on my Nova Scotia trip! Remembering the good times we had there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are fabulous. The block you are quilting fits in very well. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you are doing, want to try the QAYG technique again one day. We are back into summer here, a few xool days and then back I nto the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I have never heard of QAYG with hand quilting, only with machine quilting. Well done!
    Sunny but cold here today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila, I haven't done a QAYG before but I hope to try one soon - along with all my other projects LOL... Yours looks like it is coming along really well. Cold here too, -30 at night - but sunny during the day so it is actually rather lovely out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done handquilting really (a bit) but this must make it a lot easier to handle. It's going to be a lovely quilt. Do you cut the wadding back before joining the strips?

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great. It is so nice to have a project to work on for some quiet stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting is great Sheila! I have never done a hand quilted QAYG project but I have done machine quilted QAYG projects.... quilting one block at a time certainly makes it a little more manageable! Looking forward to watching your progress on this project! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks are beautiful! What a great idea. Sounds like you are really enjoying the process!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sheila ,wow your blocks are amazing ,i havent done hand quilting before,you do such lovely work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried a QAYG but it makes a lot of sense and this one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant the quilt is lovely.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice blocks, Sheila...love your colours! Very nice weekend here, but cold and sunny. We have freezing rain coming tomorrow night...still old man winter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect weather for stitching by the sounds of things. I have never tried QAYG either. Yours is so lovely Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was lovely having your company at FNwF... xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lot of great finishes Sheila! I like what you did with the Canada 150 banner. The flying geese are a perfect subtle touch as is the RCMP. Did you see the picture of the mountie in red serge skating on our lake?

    ReplyDelete