Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Not today

You know sometimes we don't get what we wish for and no matter how much you want something it may not happen  the way we hope . You probably know where I am going with this , my visit to the doctor today did not go as I hoped , oh the cast was removed but after careful examination and X-rays a new cast was placed back on my arm with two more weeks added to this misery . I am very disappointed but I can tell you that the discomfort I  had just getting a couple of X-rays kind of prepared me for the news . My fingers are still swollen some and there is still lots of bruising so that should have told me things aren't healed to the level they need to be to go without a cast . It has been a long six weeks but I got through it so I guess I can do two more , what choice do I have . Hey I have learned to do things with my left hand I never thought I could , you just do what you have to do and get on with it the best way you can :-)
 In life we have many people influence us in different ways and learn valuable lessons along the way
                                                   My cousin , grandfather and grandmother
 As a young girl I was blessed with a grandmother (paternal) who I greatly admired , she was a tiny lady with plenty of spunk , a hard worker , a self taught midwife who in her time birthed a lot of the babies born in town when a doctor was not available . She was also an accomplished seamstress and I can remember sitting beside her as she treadled  away on her machine . My dad told me she often cut out pictures of clothing from magazines and would then make  them without the aid of a pattern . I admired her quiet way , her soft spoken voice , her long flowing grey  hair  she neatly wrapped into a perfect braided bun at the back of her head . She was a wise person who had knowledge of concoctions she would make up from herbs or wild plants and heal people of illness . I was only around 8 when she died  suddenly but she had a huge impact on me . Just recently I had the very good fortune to have made contact with a cousin of mine who just happened to have photos of my grandparents as well as my aunts and uncles . I was over the top happy about this as I had no photos  at all of my grandmother or my aunts .
                              Uncle Russ, Aunt Mammie, Aunt Margaret and Uncle Henry
My aunt Margaret and uncle Henry lived next door to my grandparents , they had no children of their own but they became like grandparents to us and were the most loving couple . They loved each other and they loved all children as their own . When life was tough that was where I would head knowing there would be a big hug and reassurance all would be ok and I always believed aunt Margaret , she was so special and uncle Henry was a big tease and would have you laughing in no time . They both provided what we all need , unconditional love , never judging you , always encouraging you and most importantly always there for you . I am not sure why I am sharing these photos today , maybe because I need to think of those who brought me great comfort in tough times , maybe I need that hug from aunt Margaret and that healing hand of Nanny and maybe I just want to share these very special photos with you .
 I will share more quilts with you tomorrow today I just need time to be thankful for the positives in my life like my loving husband  .
 hugs Sheila

24 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the cast... but another 2 weeks is so much better than it beign set badly isn't it? Lovely to read your family memories... it's amazing what that generation accomplished without the machines and technology we have nowadays...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our lives are forever blessed by the people who loved us most. They never leave us and are brought to the forefront of our minds in times when we need a hug from them. Their light is always with us.
    Thanks for sharing these happy memories. It makes me smile big and I know you will be all better very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I know you will be more comfortable with the cast on, but it is still a bummer!!!

    Thank heavens for all the people who have made you the person you are today. It's nice to look back and appreciate them for their strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post about your special family. I am very sorry for your cast but I guess all things need their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Sheila i just want to give you a big hug my friend,glad you got those lovely pics of your family.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, you have written a wonderful post from the heart. Thanks for sharing your stories. And hang in there..two weeks will go by very quickly and you will be doing cartwheels in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and thank you for sharing. Two weeks will be gone in time and you will soon forget those 8 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a trooper Sheila...get it over before it gets hotter. Nice family pics and story

    ReplyDelete
  9. So disappointing for you, but for the best. Two weeks will go fast. So nice to hear about your special family, Great that you got to see some photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you have to have the cast back on for a few weeks.. Hope it all heals properly now..
    Loved reading your post.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. So sorry to hear you have another 2 weeks to wait. Loved reading about your family memories. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, big bummer!! but for the best if things are not quite right as you may have worse problems later on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish your cast could have been removed today,Sheila. I really liked your photos. Such loving memories came flooding back to. A little gift to help you heal. Take care dear friend. No sewing done here for along time.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh - that is a disappointment for you. It's a shame but perhaps it will be for the best in the long term. It was lovely to share your photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The memories of these disappointing two extra weeks with the cast on will not last as (life-)long as the precious memories you have of your dear family, Sheila. They are comforting and healing now like they have always been doing...
    Hugs,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two weeks will go fast, dear Sheila!
    Nice family with wonderful memories..
    Hugs, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice pot about the precious people in your life. It's important to keep our good memories. Good luck with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry you are banged up in a cast for longer Sheila. I loved reading about your loving family. Chin up...sending hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would it not be wonderful to get a hug from our favorite relatives when we needed it.Some things take longer to heal but it will.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Olhando a vida sobre outro ponto de vista: faltam apenas duas semanas! Coragem,minha amiga, o tempo passa rapido!
    Doces lembranças alegram nossos corações nos momentos dificeis.
    Fique bem! Saúde!
    Um abraço!

    Looking at life on another point of view: there are only two weeks! Courage, my friend, time goes fast!
    Sweet memories our hearts rejoice in difficult moments.
    Stay well! Health!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's hoping the next two weeks will fly by and you will soon be back at the machine. Keep your spirits up and what a great post about your family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How special to have reconnected with your past through the photos and nice that you can draw strength from your family like that. These two weeks will hopefully whizz by - better for it to be healed properly so there is no further damage/injury.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you needed the hug and comfort. If I were there I'd give you a big hug (not too hard) and a cup of tea (or something stronger). I'm so disappointed about your cast but I know you'll get there. You're made of strong stuff and soon...not as soon as you'd like...but soon, this will all be behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. so sorry to hear you have to wear a cast longer. Look at it this way, learning to do things with your left hand is good for your brain. :0)

    ReplyDelete