Sunday, July 18, 2010

Some days you just get lucky

Yesterday my hubby and I went for a drive along the coast as it was an extremely hot day and we wanted some ocean breeze to cool off .We saw a yard sale sign and well , I simply have a hard time passing by so we turned and went back and the first thing I saw was a sewing machine , now it wasn't just any old machine it was a Bernina , on closer inspection I could see it is a vintage machine with lots of grime on the top but otherwise in great condition , I checked to see if the foot pedal was there and was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed attached . There are no other attachments or a manual but it really didn't matter that much as I wasn't going to have to borrow a loan to buy it either , now are you ready , for this , the lady said it used to work but it isn't working properly now so ...... you can have it for $5 ,I know you may find that hard to believe but that is the truth of it and for that money I figured even if it never worked it would make a great ornament in my sewing room along with all my other vintage machines . When we got home I plugged it in and put a new spool of thread on the machine and turned the switch over from mending to regular sewing and wow that machine sewed through a few layers of fabric she had under the presser foot. I had my hubby take the top cover off and we inspected that and oiled it as well as the hook and I retreaded it and it just purrs , I really don't think this machine has seen much use , they must have had some problems and tried to pry the top off and those marks are along the top but otherwise it is in perfect condition .The lady who sold it was in her 80"s and she told me she uses a treadle machine and her daughter had given her this machine but she never could figure out how to use it .So yesterday was indeed a lucky day for me and do you know we came across this sale just as they were about to put things away , it was well into the afternoon and the sale was for their church so I feel a little guilty paying so little now but no one else had even looked at she told me ;-0
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. as soon as I saw the title of your post I just knew that you had found something wonderful 1 you really are lady luck ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find, Sheila! I'm on the lookout for another sewing machine myself. I want one as a backup in case anything happens to my Viking. I did have a Kenmore that had been my MILs, but I gave it to my mail lady for her 10 year-old daughter to learn to sew. I don't think they have ever used it! Oh well...

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh what a lucky find! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! You know my mom has the same problem when she uses my computerized machines. They just don't get all the bells and whistles. Also, Berninas are very finicky and if they used the wrong thread or needles, well they do not purr. Sounds like it was just calling your name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! Try googling you may be able to find the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great find/buy Sheila. Lucky for you to find such a great bargain. Hugs, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all love a bargain...... and I always feel it is so nice for the machine to find a good home!!!! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa!!! What a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete